Wednesday, February 17, 2010

TWS Swap mini for Tammy!

I joined the February TWS (Trade Wind Scrappers) mini album swap on the Beach community I belong to. [Check out the side bar to link over and join! You will love it!] I was paired up with Tammy who was looking for a love themed album, She likes pinks and browns, not Valentine's specific, and similar to Marion at A Piece of Craft.com style! I had my work cut out for me but I was ready to step up to the challenge!

I found this amazing paper at Michael's. DCWV Old World 8 x 8 paper stack. I loved it! The damasks, the distressed look, the colors! I was so excited to work with it! I decided to use some Maya Road ticket sheers and the ticket album I got at Michael's to make a Ticket to Love mini! I had my theme, paper, and a new arrival and my new obsession...Glimmer mist and white prima flowers! I was set to go!

I had a blast making this. I even tried some new techniques - some made the album - some, not so much! I always try to incorporate something new into each mini I make to not only try new things but stretch my skill base. I figure the more I try, the more I learn. I am not usually a pink person but I dove in and really liked the colors! The mini only came with 5 pages and I need to make 6 for the swap so I added an envelope page. Fun and super easy to do! I made my own paper using modpodge and was really happy with how it looks - it did warp the chipboard a bit though. If anyone has tips on how to prevent this let me know. Next time I am thinking of doing it on grungeboard instead of chipboard. All in all - I loved the finished album. I really hope Tammy does too!



Thanks for watching!

1 comment:

  1. I think you are as good or better than Marion!! Your album is gorgeous! I can remember from a long...long time ago (a few months LOL) you were afraid of fibers and coordinating them. Well, you are so good at it now! I love the mini! I love the shape, and I think I love the envelope page best! Using it upside down was genius! Also, the charms and things are great! Love all the glimmer mist! The Pride and Prejudice page is so cute! I love it!
    Tips for mod podge... No matter the surface you are applying to, the first coat should be very thin, almost a dry sponge brush, you definitely don't want to see white streaks at all. REally really thin coat. Allow it to dry. Not just to the touch. Thoroughly dry, like 8 hours or more. I usually do the 1st coat one day and let it dry to the next. The first coat acts as your sealer. The next coats can be thicker because it is sealed and won't warp as much or in the case of layered papers, they won't bubble. If you are really really impatient... (sometimes I am running behind on getting a gift made) you can do the first coat, sit it in front of a fan for a half hour or so til it is dry to the touch, then heat it with the heat tool to set it. Then you can work with it as normal. I use cereal/cracker boxes for chipboard a lot. I create thick chipboard by using mod podge or gel medium as the glue. I have to do the sealer layer on each and let them dry then stack several gluing them with the MP or gel medium. Makes great thick chipboard for cutting things out.
    Can you explain the difference between grunge board and chip board some time? Grunge board seems a bit more flexible, maybe?
    Thanks for sharing!!
    I started blog candy contest on 2/18/10. It is designing a card, but you and your beachy friends could do a tag or mini page with the same sort of theme. It is about dimension for the background!
    Hope you can participate.

    ReplyDelete